Dr Jing Deng is Chairman and Terminology Lead of 3D Special Interest Group, the International Society for Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology [ISUOG]. He is Echo Research Lead at Barts Heart Centre, London, UK. He has been a PhD / MPhil Clinical Supervisor at University College London & UCL Hospitals since 2002, a Senior Clinical Lecturer on Multi-Dimensional Medical Imaging, and a Supervisor on Focused Intensive Care Echo. He also teaches 3D/4D ultrasound on international platforms, such as at Euroson between 2001 and 2005, and at ISUOG 3D workshops.
He started 4D fetal echo in early 1990s, obtained a PhD in Clinical Sciences at UCL in 2003, was included on Specialist Register by Medical Royal Colleges in 2004 and became fully registered with General Medical Council in 2005, working as a research SpR and Medical Research Council Clinician Scientist as well as clinical consultant for imaging companies, tasked for 4D imaging of the fetus, the prenatal and postnatal heart, tumour vascularity and intervention, moving and deformable soft-tissue body parts/organs, non-invasive sensing neonatal venous oxygenation using NIR and microbubbles.
He is not a prolific author but one of those who only produce articles on cutting-edge research into multi-modality and multi-dimensional imaging. He was the lead author of one of the two earliest papers on the methodology that has evolved to STIC for 4D fetal echo [the other one from UCSD, who also made key technical advances]. He was a co-author for early 3D obstetric ultrasound books, ISUOG and other international guideline papers. His research was also published in The Lancet.
He reviews grant applications to UK, European Union, North America and Asian countries’ research funding councils, as well as manuscripts being considered by 15 leading international journals.
- Tutschek B, Blaas HK, Abramowicz J, Baba K, Deng J, Lee W, Merz E, Platt L, Pretorius D, Timor-Tritsch I, Gindes L; for the ISUOG 3D Special Interest Group. Three-dimensional ultrasound imaging of the fetal skull and face. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 50:7.
- Leung TS, Honeysett JE, Stride E, Deng J. Light propagation in a turbid medium with insonified microbubbles. J Biomed Opt 2013; 18: 15002.
- Merz E, Abramovicz J, Baba K, Blaas HG, Deng J, Gindes L, Lee W, Platt L, Pretorius D, Schild R, Sladkevicius P, Timor-Tritsch I. 3D imaging of the fetal face – recommendations from the International 3D Focus Group. Ultraschall Med. 2012; 33: 175.
- Burton P, Deng J, McDonald D, Fewtrell MS. Real-time 3D ultrasound imaging of infant tongue movements during breast-feeding. Early Hum Dev 2013; 89: 635.
- Dindoyal I, Lambrou T, Deng J, Todd-Pokropek A. 2D/3D fetal cardiac dataset segmentation using a deformable model. Medical Physics 2011; 38: 4338.
- Deng J, Crouch NS, Creighton SM, Linney AD, Todd-Pokropek A, Rodeck CH. Minimally-compressive, three- and four-dimensional ultrasound imaging of the clitoris: A feasibility study. Ultrasound Med Biol 2006;32:1479.
- Deng J, Hall-Craggs MA, Craggs MD, Richards R, Knight SL, Linney AD, Mundy AR. Three-dimensional magnetic resonance imaging of the male urethrae with implanted artificial sphincters: initial results. Br J Radiol 2006; 79: 455.
- Deng J, Hall-Craggs MA, Pellerin D, Linney AD, Lees WR, Rodeck CH, Todd-Pokropek A. Real-time three-dimensional ultrasound visualization of erection and artificial coitus. Int J Androl 2006; 29: 374.
- Deng J, Yates R, Sullivan ID, McDonald D, Linney AD, Lees WR, Anderson RH, Rodeck CH. Dynamic three-dimensional colour Doppler ultrasound of human fetal intracardiac flow. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2002; 20: 131.
- Deng J, Sullivan ID, Yates R, Vogel M, McDonald D, Linney AD, Rodeck CH, Anderson RH. Real-time three-dimensional fetal echocardiography – optimal imaging windows. Ultrasound Med Biol 2002; 28: 1099.
- Deng J, Newton NM, Hall-Craggs MA, Shirley RA, Linney AD, Lees WR, Rodeck CH, McGrouther DA. Novel technique for three-dimensional visualisation and quantification of deformable, moving soft-tissue body parts. Lancet 2000; 356: 127.
- Deng J, Gardener JE, Rodeck CH, Lees WR. Fetal echocardiography in three and four dimensions. Ultrasound Med Biol 1996; 22: 979-86.
- Deng J, Brookes JAS, Gardener JE, Rodeck CH, Lees WR. Three-dimensional magnetic resonance imaging of the post-mortem fetal heart. Fetal Diagn Ther 1996; 11:417.
- Deng J. Opinion: Terminology of three-dimensional and four-dimensional ultrasound imaging of the fetal heart and other moving body parts. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2003; 22: 336.